Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

This was a film I knew of for many years, and was in fact the immediate association I made whenever anyone mentioned Virginia Woolf herself. However, I only watched it for the first time quite recently.

I thought it was fantastic - at the very least, it finally explained my father's use of the phrase "Shall we play Get The Guest?" and a friend's use of "where do you keep the euphemism?" [f you are confused - watch the film!] - but the story itself was driven, intense and absorbing. Elizabeth Taylor was brilliant and Richard Burton is close to becoming one of my great cinematic loves (after Peter O'Toole, Jimmy Stewart and Fred Astaire, naturally).

However - am I the only person who would like to be in a George&Martha-esque relationship?

I mean, I know they are god-awful and nasty to each other, but I think they do genuinely love each other. In my opinion, it would be better to be in a relationship where you loved the other person and fought until it made you sick, than to be in one where you felt nothing much at all.

Maybe it's just me...

No comments: