Speculative Fiction Reading Challenge 2011

This year (by which I mean 2011) I am determined to be all literary and write stuff. Like reviews of books. For improvement of the mind, you know. (And to stop my brain from melting into mush, which it kind of has after three years of law school. I used to have a better vocabulary than this. But I digress.)

Observe -- a relevant picture!!
Thus: in pursuit of this noble aim, I am going to take part in the Speculative Fiction Reading Challenge 2011 hosted by Floor to Ceiling Books.

The rules are very straightforward: read 12 "speculative fiction" novels between 1st Jan 2011 and 31st Dec 2011. The definition of "speculative fiction" is very broad -- she says:
[f]or this first attempt at a reading challenge, I'm not going to be strict! Speculative fiction for me includes anything from the realm of science fiction, fantasy or horror - doesn't matter what subgenre, or whether it is tie-in fiction. I'm aiming to make this as inclusive as possible.
So, given as how SF/fantasy is my genre of choice, I reckon this is doable. (Besides, if all else fails, I own 24 Bujold books which I could stand to reread another 3 or 4 times (though that would seem like cheating just a little bit...))

Relevant books on my want-to-read include China Mieville's Kraken, the two new Connie Willis books (and I would like to read To Say Nothing of the Dog again), Blake Charlton's Spellwright, the new Gail Carriger book that's coming out some time next year, and so on.

Yay being literary!

No comments: